Re: make install-strip

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: make install-strip
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:26:39 +0200

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 05:50:15PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Would it be possible to strip libraries at install
> time? Or do I have to set CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS?

if I understand correctly, "make install-strip" strips libtool libraries
(LTLIBRARIES).  (see /usr/share/automake-1.9/am/ltlib.am)

Thus one solution, general and robust, is to use libtool.

Libraries declared with LIBRARIES are not stripped, see
/usr/share/automake-1.9/am/libs.am.  The problem is that variable
libLIBRARIES_INSTALL is set to $(INSTALL_DATA).

A quick workaround might be to do

        make libLIBRARIES_INSTALL="install -s" install-strip

supposing that you know that "install -s" strips and installs the library
on your platform.

To generalize this, you'd have to patch /usr/share/automake-1.9/am/libs.am.
The details are beyond my knowledge.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal