Re: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_HEADERS_ONCE

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_HEADERS_ONCE
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:46:51 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 04:41:22PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
> GNU CLISP comes with regex.c and it places it in the "current"
> directory.
> clisp/modules/regexp/configure.in
> has
> gl_INCLUDED_REGEX([regex.c])
> and files files
> clisp/modules/regexp/regex.h
> clisp/modules/regexp/regex.c
> &c.

and I suppose that if you do
cd clisp/modules/regex; aclocal; autoconf

then you get configure script, right?

> note that the original problem (see the subject line) is still there.

The original problem was with the artificial configure.in, which was
a concatenation of all configure.in's in the tree.  You ran aclocal on it,
to bring all macros.
With that artificial configure.in, regex.c was not in current directory,
thus the part with macro AC_CHECK_HEADERS_ONCE was skipped, and thus
aclocal decided not to copy it into aclocal.m4.  Later on, autoconf
was run in clisp/modules/regex, and it complained that the definition
of AC_CHECK_HEADERS_ONCE was missing.

I believe that the problem described above was fixed by Paul's patch.

It might be best to start from scratch, with fresh gnulib CVS checkout.
When you encounter a problem, please submit another self-contained bug
report, so we can start from scratch, too.  And please attach the script
which you use to create the artificial configure.in, so that we can try
to reproduce the bug. Sorry, but I believe this is the best possible
way now.  (It is possible that you get the same symptoms, though the
reasons are different.)

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal