Re: AM_CPPFLAGS not applied for CHECK programs?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: AM_CPPFLAGS not applied for CHECK programs?
Date: 28 Aug 2005 17:42:53 -0600

Bob> As a follow-up to this posting, I see that when Automake generates a
Bob> specific rule for a target built in a subdirectory, it forgets to
Bob> include $(AM_CPPFLAGS).  This is a serious error.

This is documented in the 'Program and Library Variables' node:

     In compilations with per-target flags, the ordinary `AM_' form of
     the flags variable is _not_ automatically included in the
     compilation (however, the user form of the variable _is_ included).
     So for instance, if you want the hypothetical `maude' compilations
     to also use the value of `AM_CFLAGS', you would need to write:

          maude_CFLAGS = ... your flags ... $(AM_CFLAGS)

As I recall we made this choice so that people could set a global
default and then override it for specific programs.

Tom