Re: How to pass '-p' flag to "install"?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: How to pass '-p' flag to "install"?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:26:06 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 03:51:53PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
>  $ ./configure INSTALL="/usr/bin/install -p"
>
> would do the trick, but unfortunately Automake 1.9.6
> generates Makefiles that use $(install_sh) rather than
> $(INSTALL). Is this intentional?

yes, install-sh is used as a replacement for INSTALL in certain situations.
And it's used if the install program doesn't seem to work properly.
It's even possible that the tests in configure detected that "install
doesn't work properly", because of your "-p".

In any case, you have to take of install_sh, too

> Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Set install_sh, too:

./configure INSTALL="/usr/bin/install -p" install_sh='$(INSTALL)'

this should work.  I guess you don't want to use "make install-strip" or
"make dist".

Does this solve your problem?

Related issue: the patch proposed in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-automake/2005-07/msg00141.html
would help with install-strip and distdir.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal