Re: 'make' reruns configure ?!

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: 'make' reruns configure ?!
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:50:26 +0200

Hello,

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 08:46:07AM -0500, Kendrick Smith wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why an Automake-generated Makefile
> would rerun the 'configure' script when 'make' is invoked,

because it has regenerated 'configure' just before it and there is
possibility that the new 'configure' might get different results
than the previous one.

And why was 'configure' regenerated?  Because some of its source files,
probably configure.ac or some of the *.m4 files, were modified.

Perhaps they weren't modified, perhaps they just have screwed their
time stamps.  How did you unpack the source tree?

> and whether there's a (possibly heavy-handed) way to disable
> this behavior?

Sure, just delete some part of the makefile, see the rule containing
the string "--recheck".  I think deleting variable "am__configure_deps"
might do it.

Well, if you really modified some of the files, perhaps applied a patch
against configure.ac (configure.in) or run aclocal, then it is correct
to re-run configure.  Just let the make do its work.

If your copy of the source tree has wrong time stamps, then I'd recommend
getting a correct copy.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal