Re: conditional subdirectories

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: conditional subdirectories
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:23:41 -0700

Antonio Coralles wrote:
I'm currently working on a small library. I only want the contents of the 'examples' directory to be built if configure .....

My toplevel Makefile.am contains:

if EXAMPLES
MAYBE_EXAMPLES = examples
endif
SUBDIRS = $(GENERIC_LIBRARY_NAME) $(MAYBE_EXAMPLES)

SUBDIRS = $(GENERIC_LIBRARY_NAME)
if EXAMPLES
SUBDIRS += examples
endif

At the first glance, this seems to work fine. But when i 'make dist', the examples directory
is not included, allthough

That may be an obvious way of doing it, but automake scans this stuff
and cannot cope with convoluted subdir constructions.

Maybe anyone here can give me a hint what i'm doing wrong ...
Obvious things ought to work in obvious ways, but sometimes
it is hard and there's nobody to fix  it  :)

Good luck - Bruce