Re: make depend problem with hello_SOURCES = ${SRCDIR}/hello.c

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: make depend problem with hello_SOURCES = ${SRCDIR}/hello.c
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:03:36 +0200

* Stepan Kasal wrote on Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:26:57PM CEST:

> > You don't need to copy headers.  [...]
> > So you can leave out the BUILT_SOURCES line completely.
>
> thanks for correcting me.
>
> > > $(linked_sources):
> > >   $(LN_S) '$(INTERFACE_DIR)/$@' '$@'
> >
> > But you need to "rm -f '$@'" before invoking $(LN_S).
>
> Why?  If the file exists, the rule cannot be triggerred, as there are
> no prerequisities.

D'oh again.  I did mean to add a dependency at some point in time
(or maybe was it a .PHONY entry?)..

Anyway, the way the rule is now, if $LN_S is `cp', source files in
$(INTERFACE_DIR) newer than in `.' will not get copied, which is bad.

And I did mean to write one rule and mention the docs about multiple
outputs, so that Harald could write the rule with proper dependencies in
place (e.g., a stamp file, so the rule is not run every time).  Ah, yes.

> > And yes: I for one have neither the time, nor the ability, nor access
> > to make changes to GNU Automake.
>
> Which all boils down to having time and perhaps also interest.
> With enough time, you'd easily get the ability and submit the patch to
> the GNATS database.  ;-)

It's IMVHO a bad idea to take bug submitting away from the user actually
experiencing the problem.  At least in general, for several reasons.