Re: automake configure script hangs on OSF1...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: automake configure script hangs on OSF1...
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:44:17 +0200

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:57:26AM CEST:

> I am trying to install automake and an OSF1 system. I just installed
> autoconf, but the automake configure hangs looking for it...
*snip*
> checking whether autoconf is installed... yes
> checking whether autoconf works...
>
> And there it sits, until I kill it.

Try to debug it: Edit `configure', search for the string
  whether autoconf works
and add
  set -x
before it (and maybe `set +x' some way down) to find out which command
hangs.  I'd suspect the
  eval $am_AUTOCONF -o /dev/null conftest.ac

but wouldn't have any idea why it should hang.  If this is correct, you
could try to execute this line manually: create conftest.ac consisting
of a line with `AC_INIT', execute autoconf as above with `/bin/sh -x' to
see where it hangs.  Post whatever you find.

Maybe autom4te finds a non-GNU m4?  Which autoconf version, by the way?