Re: Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup

From: Tomas Zerolo
Subject: Re: Need help with cleaning up a working GNU Autotools setup
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 06:52:33 +0200

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 09:27:01PM +0200, Sune Ahlgren wrote:
[...]
> Question:
> ------------
> At this point all object files, binaries and libraries end up in the
> same directory as the source code from which they are created. This
> means a mess and I would want something like this:
[...]

AFAIK you don't do that :-)

You, the maintainer just provide the configury. At compile time the user
decides what goes where (object files and other build intermediries).
The recommended way is to make a build directory (I make it as a
subdirectory of the top-level project tree) and call from there
configure. Everything made by the build lands there, like so:

  cd my-project-0.9
  mkdir .build
  cd .build
  ../configure --option1
  make

Just try it with any ready-made autoconf project.

If you need a small example to play on and see all this at work, just
try GNU Hello, which was made for just this purpose:

See

  <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Hello.html>
  <http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/hello/>

HTH