Re: make distcheck does not work for me

From: Steve
Subject: Re: make distcheck does not work for me
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:17:12 +0200

Hi Ralf,

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Hi Steve,

* Steve wrote on Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 08:45:00PM CEST:
-------
address@hidden ~/documents/programming/face-0.0.1 $ ls
chrome  components install.js  install.rdf
-------

So the top_srcdir where the configure script is locatet
is not the top_srcdir of my project but it is the components directory...

Is there a specific reason to do this?

I ask because it seems quite
unusual to me.  Do you perchance have a source tree that consists of
several subpackages (i.e., uses the AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS macro)?

No the only source tree is locatet in the components directory (which is also $top_srcdir).
I dont want to "waste" my project root (face) directory with auto generated
scripts, because there are other people who only need to navigate
through the chrome and project root directory, and I want to hide the
generated scripts from them...

"make distcheck" fails with the following error:
-----------------------------------
&& make  dist \
&& rm -rf face-0.0.1.tar.gz face-0.0.1.tar.bz2 face-0.0.1.zip \
&& make  distcleancheck
/bin/sh: ../configure: File or directory not found
make: *** [distcheck] Fehler 127
--------------------------------

So how I tell automake that it should not execute ../configure
but ../components/configure when running "make distcheck"?
I've also searched the documentation but I did not found anything.

Hmm, I can only guess that, if there is no technical necessity, that you
could just arrange your package so that `configure' would be created in
the root of the source tree, $top_srcdir.

configure is already generated in $top_srcdir but its not the project root directory.
Perhaps a little bit confusing...
Thats the way I build the distribution:
dir structure:
------------------
face/ <== the project root with some files... face/components <== this is $top_srcdir where all autotool scripts and sources (in subdirs) are locatet
face/chrome                        <== other stuff with sub directories
------------------
Makefile.am:
------------------
EXTRA_DIST = ${top_srcdir}/idl\
   ${top_srcdir}/include\
   ${top_srcdir}/win32\
   ${top_srcdir}/../chrome\
   ${top_srcdir}/../install.rdf\
   ${top_srcdir}/../install.js
#...
.PHONY: dist-hook
dist-hook:
   mkdir ${top_srcdir}/components
   mv ${distdir}/* components/
   mv ${top_srcdir}/chrome ${distdir}/
   mv ${top_srcdir}/install.js ${distdir}/
   mv ${top_srcdir}/install.rdf ${distdir}/
   mv ${top_srcdir}/components/ ${distdir}/
   rm -rf `find $(distdir) -name CVS`
   rm -f `find $(distdir) -name .cvsignore`
   rm -rf ${top_srcdir}/components
------------------
I definitly need this directory structure in the distri. But perhaps theres
a better way to building the distri with make?

Alternatively, maybe it helps
you to put a small wrapper script there that executes components/configure,
but then again I would not know why that would be a useful thing to do.
That would be an option which I can keep in mind,
if theres no other way...

Thank you for your help...

Regards

Steve