Re: make distcheck does not work for me

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: make distcheck does not work for me
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:41:32 +0200

Hi Steve,

* Steve wrote on Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 08:45:00PM CEST:

> -------
> address@hidden ~/documents/programming/face-0.0.1 $ ls
> chrome  components install.js  install.rdf
> -------
>
> So the top_srcdir where the configure script is locatet
> is not the top_srcdir of my project but it is the components directory...

Is there a specific reason to do this?  I ask because it seems quite
unusual to me.  Do you perchance have a source tree that consists of
several subpackages (i.e., uses the AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS macro)?

> "make distcheck" fails with the following error:
> -----------------------------------
>  && make  dist \
>  && rm -rf face-0.0.1.tar.gz face-0.0.1.tar.bz2 face-0.0.1.zip \
>  && make  distcleancheck
> /bin/sh: ../configure: File or directory not found
> make: *** [distcheck] Fehler 127
>
> So how I tell automake that it should not execute ../configure
> but ../components/configure when running "make distcheck"?
> I've also searched the documentation but I did not found anything.

Hmm, I can only guess that, if there is no technical necessity, that you
could just arrange your package so that `configure' would be created in
the root of the source tree, $top_srcdir.  Alternatively, maybe it helps
you to put a small wrapper script there that executes components/configure,
but then again I would not know why that would be a useful thing to do.