Re: how to make _DEPENDENCIES appear earlier in prerequisite

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to make _DEPENDENCIES appear earlier in prerequisite
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:48:45 +0200

Hi "NF",

(weird name, by the way :)

* NF wrote on Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 12:35:44PM CEST:
> is there any way to make dependencies appear early in prerequisite?

No, as far as I know.  It also doesn't make much sense, if you will
allow for parallel `make'.

> currently , if we have a makefile.am contains:
>
>   foo_DEPENDENCIES = bar
>
> then in makefile.in, we 'll get something like:
*snip*

> but what is expected is
>
>   foo_DEPENDENCIES = bar
>   foo: $foo_DEPENDENCIES $foo-obj
>

> in case which we need to use build-time generacted program to do
> something before compile sources of this rule.

Check out the Automake documentation about BUILT_SOURCES, e.g. in
  info Automake Sources

Probably that is what you're looking for.  Or generate manual
dependencies (and rules) for either objects or sources, whatever is
really needed in your case.