Re: compiling in the build time

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: compiling in the build time
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:21:53 +0100

Hi David, Warren.

* Warren Young wrote on Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 01:49:42AM CET:
> David Byron wrote:
> >
> >What I'm having trouble with is getting the builddate.c recipe to happen
> >at the right time.
>
> Could you make it depend on *.o except for builddate.o?  If any of those
> change, rebuild builddate.c, which will cause builddate.o to be rebuilt.

Can't you just make it depend on the other source files?

  builddate.c: $(geoidx_SOURCES)
          echo ...

Don't forget to mention the header file somewhere, by the way
(in geoidx_SOURCES would be fine).

Side note: if you want to be portable to non-GNU make (I don't know
whether that is interesting for you), you can replace
| BUILDTIME   = $(shell TZ=UTC date --utc)

with
| BUILDTIME   = `TZ=UTC date --utc`

Also, in any case you need
| CLEANFILES = builddate.c

so builddate.c gets removed properly, and `make distcheck' has a chance
to pass.