Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 09:50:00 +0100

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 02:18:40AM CET:

> What am I missing here? I define the following in my Makefile.am:
>
> # Point the fortran compiler to current directory.
> AM_FFLAGS = -I$(srcdir)
>
> But no matter what I do, that -I. never appears when the compile
> happens:
>
>  f95 -g -O2 -ff2c -c typeSizes.f90  -fPIC -o .libs/typeSizes.o
>
> Yet I have successfully set the -ff2c flag in configure.ac, but only
> by modifying FCFLAGS directly.
>
> Is AM_FCFLAGS not supposed to be used on the compile line along with
> FCFLAGS? I understood that to be the case from this in the automake
> manual:

These go together:
F77, FFLAGS,  AM_FFLAGS,  Fortran 77
And these:
FC,  FCFLAGS, AM_FCFLAGS, Fortran 90/95, FCFLAGS_f90..

Any chance you are mixing the two sets together?

The FCFLAGS_$srcext is set by AC_FC_SRCEXT, explained in
  info Autoconf 'Fortran Compiler'
but not yet supported by Automake.  I.e., until Automake is fixed to
output these rules:

.f90.o:
        $(FCCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $(FCFLAGS_f90) $<

.f90.obj:
        $(FCCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $(FCFLAGS_f90) `$(CYGPATH_W) '$<'`

.f90.lo:
        $(LTFCCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $(FCFLAGS_f90) $<

I'd advise you to add them to your Makefile.am yourself.