Re: strange warnings from aclocal...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: strange warnings from aclocal...
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 18:13:30 +0100

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 03:36:43PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
> > * Ed Hartnett wrote on Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 04:34:27PM CEST:
> >>
> >> I am getting warnings from aclocal about a bunch of macros being
> >> underquoted. But these are not my macros! They seem to be part of
> >> aclocal.
> >
> > They are part of third-party packages that provide macros;

> But I'm wondring why aclocal is looking through a bunch of m4 files
> that have nothing to do with my package...

Limitation/feature of aclocal: it looks at all files in its search
path(s) and picks out those you actually use.  New Autotools versions
(will) have the ability to actually install all the respective .m4 files
into the directory specified as AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR in configure.ac
(and in "ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I ..." in toplevel Makefile.am); then
aclocal.m4 will mostly degenerate into a bunch of includes of the form
  m4_include([m4/foobar.m4])