Re: no config.sub/guess copied

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: no config.sub/guess copied
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:35:15 +0100

Hello,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:07:01AM +0000, Vincent Torri wrote:
> AC_CANONICAL_TARGET
> AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([.])
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR has to be called before AC_CANONICAL_TARGET.

> I mention that I use the autotools in  such a way that there is no
> Makefile.am. I have already my Makefile written.

The purpose of automake is to generate Makefile.in from Makefile.am.
Using automake without Makefile.am is very unusual; this implies it is
not debugged.

Perhaps you could use only Autoconf, perhaps with aclocal, but without
automake.

> Of course, I would like to avoid adding these files to the distribution
> of my project.

The term "distribution" in automake terminology means the tarball
project-1.2.3.tar.gz, as generated by "make dist".
To build any program from this tarball, you don't need neither Autoconf,
nor Automake; their work is already done, and the results are contained
within that tarball: ./configure, Makefile.in, etc.
In this sense, config.sub and config.guess have to be distributed, as
'configure' is distributed.

But you mean another "distribution": something like CVS or other version
management system's repository.
But such repository usually contains a script which calls autotools to
initialte the build.  This script might be called "bootstrap" or
"autogen.sh".  I suggest that this script copies the needed files from
somewhere (eg. /usr/share/automake-1.9/), without calling automake.

Hope this helps,
        Stepan Kasal