autotools support for msvc (was: useful bug reports)

From: Rob Byrne
Subject: autotools support for msvc (was: useful bug reports)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:16:42 +0100

Hi Ralf,

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to final testing and applying all
of his patches.  I can't promise when I'll be able to do that, but I
certainly would like to see it applied; all I definitely want to avoid
is any regressions for other systems (non-MSVC w32, or non-w32).  Nobody
else has stepped in either to do it.  Free time is limited.

Would it be possible in the interim to update the automake or autotools manual to be clear that it does not work for native windows compilers and linkers (cl.exe and link.exe etc) ? A clear statement like that would have saved me a fait bit of time. One thing for example that is confusing (perhaps this is not a comment for automake specifically) is that the GnuWin32 page has a title like "LibTool for Windows"...when you see something like that, and you're new to Windows porting, you easily misinterpret it. What it really means is something like "LibTool for gcc on Windows". Perhaps that's obvious to autotools experts but it wasn't to me...so I passed several educational though finally fruitless hours :-)...

thanks for all your work on these tools,
Rob.