Re: automake

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: automake
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:10:24 +0100

Hi Adnan,

* Adnan Shaheen wrote on Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 12:40:20PM CET:
> Hi, This is a new developer in LINUX,
> I am working on LINUX and making on makefile,
> I started writing the makefile manually, But then I read about
> autoconf and automake.
> I am getting a problem with
> THE PROBLEM:
> It is not taking the #ifdef macros,
> as I am working on LINUX, but it skips the #ifdef LINUX macro.

I'm sorry but this description is almost impossible to understand.
So I'll point you at some general ideas: one idea of autoconf is
to test for features, not for system names.  Thus, you would test
if a function foo() or library libfoo exists, not whether you build
on GNU/Linux or elsewhere.  That way, you have a much better chance
of successful building on systems you yourself cannot test.

This is a good tutorial on autotools usage:
http://www-src.lip6.fr/homepages/Alexandre.Duret-Lutz/autotools.html
This is a good book, if somewhat aging (and showing older concepts):
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/
and the info pages for both Autoconf and Automake have lots of hints,
too.

For a specific question, please try to describe more precisely, best
by showing a reproducible example, what you try to do and what errors
you get.  That way, it's much easier to provide help.