Re: -rpath and Automake

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: -rpath and Automake
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:31:25 +0100

>>> "RA" == Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

 RA> Hello folks,
 RA> The Automake manual says:

 > For libraries whose destination directory is known when Automake
 > runs, Automake will automatically supply the appropriate `-rpath'
 > option to libtool.  This is the case for libraries listed explicitly in
 > some installable `_LTLIBRARIES' variables such as `lib_LTLIBRARIES'.
[...]
 RA> Is there any way to selectively disable this feature when building
 RA> libraries for a Debian package?  Some configure option, perhaps?  I
 RA> suppose that one can edit the Makefiles after running configure to remove
 RA> -rpath $(libdir), but that's an ugly hack.

That wouldn't work.  This -rpath is a libtool option, not a
linker option.  It is required when buidling installable libtool
libraries.  Without it libtool would build a convenience library
(as documented).

Whether libtool -rpath will eventually be passed down to the
linker is libtool's decision; nothing automake should be
concerned with.  I'm not aware of any way to interfere with
this, but perhaps you should check the archives of the libtool
list where this has been often discussed.

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz

Shared books are happy books.     http://www.bookcrossing.com/friend/gadl