Library containing sources of multiple directories

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Library containing sources of multiple directories
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:12:38 +0100

Hi!

I'm new at developing with the GNU build system (automake), and now I've tried
to "port" an existing project to use an automake-based build system; therefore I
read some tutorials I found on the WWW, and I also looked at Makefile.am's for
existing projects.

My problem is that my project contains one big library which is built of many
source files spread over different sub-directories. As far as I know I could
build the library by a Makefile.am like:

lib_LIBRARIES = libGeomExakt.a
libGeomExakt_a_SOURCES = dir1/a.cpp dir2/b.cpp

I.e., mentioning every file in the top-level Makefile. But this isn't what I
want; it would be far more convenient to list the sources in the
sub-directories; like having

lib_LIBRARIES = libGeomExakt.a

at the top and many
libGeomExakt_a_SOURCES = somewhat.cpp ...
lines (and of course listing of the headers) in the subdirectory-Makefile.am's.

Is this something possible with automake? Or do I need to write special
makefile-constructs for that (e.g., a small library of every directory's
sources) my own?

Thank you very much!
Best regards,
Daniel Kraft