Re: shared library from smaller pieces

From: Vlad Skvortsov
Subject: Re: shared library from smaller pieces
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 21:02:21 -0800

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

You make the other libraries into `convenience archives'.  These are
documented in both

*snip*

Oh, I've overlooked that.. Actually I though that the way objects are packed into particular library is defined in the target library rules and not in dependent ones.

Yep, common misunderstanding.  IMHO, once you get used to the concept,
it can be quite handy.

And another question: I have a third-party library that I link my project against. That one is declared (by its author) to be shared. However, when I build that, I always end up with all both shared (.so/.dylib) and static (.a) versions of the library.

So, when I link my project (all static), the static library is used.

But recently, when I've built the shared library inside my project, it referenced the third-party shared library, instead of including its contents.

Of course, if that third-party library was mine, I would just change it from lib_LTLIBRARIES to noinst_LIBRARIES; but that's not the case. What is the proper way to do that?

What's the difference between noinst_LTLIBRARIES and lib_LIBRARIES?

Probably, I'm just confusing shared/static and installed/non-installed library. I would be happy if you point me to the documentation that could educate me.

Thanks!

--
Vlad Skvortsov, address@hidden, address@hidden