Re: Tools under Windows

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: Tools under Windows
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:31:53 +0000

BRM wrote:
> I´ve been playing around with it a bit today, mostly
> MSYS, and have thus far only had one issue with it -
> cl won´t compile the program because of bad parameters
> being passed to it (since MSYS uses // instead of /).
> (Not sure if that´s an issue for you guys, mingw-msys,
> or the cccl guy; advice appreciated.)

Does MSVC not allow you to use `-' rather than `/' as the
switch leader?  MSYS uses a *leading* `//' to tell its shell
that this should be passed to the child program as a literal
`/', rather than have it transliterated to backslashes, so
the child can recognise Windows style paths -- this is for
the benefit of inept MS programs, which refuse to recognise
path names using `/' as a directory name separator, in spite
of the *native* support for this which is built in to the
Windows kernel.

Of course, you could avoid this issue entirely, by adopting
the MinGW implementation of GCC, instead of MSVC, so that you
have an entirely GNU build environment :-)

Regards,
Keith.