Using Automake with shell scripts

From: Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray
Subject: Using Automake with shell scripts
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:47:46 +0530

I am maintaining a project, GNU Songanizer, which basically consists of a
shell script. I am using autoconf/automake to generate the Makefiles by the
help of the configure script to maintain GNU compatibility. Hence during
installation there is nothing to be compiled. Only the script (ie.
bin/songanizer) and the man page (doc/songanizer.1) has to be copied from
the bin and doc sub-directories of the installation directory to somewhere
like /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/man, etc..

The problem is that if #make install is followed by $make clean, the shell
script gets deleted from the bin subdirectory of the extracted tarball.
Obviously the problem is because there is no separate source file and
executable file as the shell script plays a dual role. How do I write the
Makefile.am to avoid this?

Following is the Makefile.am in the root installation directory:
EXTRA_DIST = AUTHORS ChangeLog COPYING README THANKS
SUBDIRS = bin doc

MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = Makefile.in configure

Following is the Makefile.am in the bin directory:
MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = Makefile.in

bin_PROGRAMS = songanizer
songanizer_SOURCES = songanizer

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated, since I am a newbie
with respect to autoconf/automake and reading the postscript documentation
has not been able to solve this problem.

Thank you,
Debarshi Ray