Re: Multiple install targets

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Multiple install targets
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:23:00 +0100

* Marwan Badawi wrote on Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:10:40AM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >by replicating the rule Automake generates:
*snip*
> >Should you use a recursive Makefile structure, you'd need to write the
> >necessary recursion targets as well, unfortunately.
>
> Thank you Ralf. But, if I got this right, I'll have to add this rule (or
> it's recursive targets) in all my Makefile.in files (I am using a
> recursive Makefile structure, unfortunately as you say). Won't these
> changes be discarded if I re-run automake? Since this project is still
> under heavy develomment, I sometimes have to make changes at the
> autotools level.

Make these changes in your Makefile.am files.  They will end up in
Makefile.in, and finally Makefile.

You can limit yourself to those Makefile.am files in which libraries are
built.  You can also consider using a nonrecursive Makefile structure.
For the latter, it's helpful to know about Automake `include' statements
and the Automake option subdir-objects (looking at other packages that
do this helps, too).