Re: where do I have to add the macros

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: where do I have to add the macros
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:56:22 +0100

* netman (sent by Nabble.com) wrote on Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:51:34PM CET:

> I have a software in two versions I wanted to add a test plugin into
> one of them I put my test file in the plugin folder and then modified
> the makefle.am.  but I have not the file configure.ac

Well, you can run autoconf, so that means you have configure.ac (it may
be named configure.in).

> while I have read in dics that it is needed for autoconf well I saw
> these errors :
>
> libtoolize
> Using `AC_PROG_RANLIB' is rendered obsolete by `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'

That means you can remove AC_PROG_RANLIB if you use libtool.

> address@hidden ntop]# autoheader
> autoheader: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in configure.in

Run aclocal before autoheader.  BTW, I'd consider it dangerous to
routinely work as root.

aclocal may need arguments (such as `-I dir', if directory `dir' is also
to be searched for macros).  Please consult the package documentation
about this, or simply tru to run `autoreconf -v' instead of all the
other commands manually.

> address@hidden ntop]# autoconf
> configure.in:59: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.in:132: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
> configure.in:857: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_CC_STDC

Should all be followup errors and be gone if you run aclocal first.

> configure.in:2135: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_TYPEDEF

I actually don't know this Autoconf macro.  Is it maybe a package-local
one?  If yes, then it should be named differently, not with a prefix of
`AC_', so that it does not use Autoconf's "namespace".

> I checked the lines but couldn't solve it and I tested it with other version
> and
> I had no problem while I didn't have configure.ac

There is a file configure.ac present.  Otherwise, autoconf throws a
suitable error.