package-provided libintl.h not found

From: Claudio Jolowicz
Subject: package-provided libintl.h not found
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:07:34 +0100

Hi,

My package contains the libintl sources in the intl/ subdirectory
(produced by gettextize with --intl) and sources for a portability
library in the lib/ subdirectory (produced by gnulib-tool).

When building the portability library with NLS enabled, on a system
lacking libintl.h, make fails with:

  In file included from xalloc-die.c:31:
  gettext.h:25:22: libintl.h: No such file or directory

This could probably be fixed by adding a `AM_CPPFLAGS = -I
$(top_srcdir)/intl' to the lib/Makefile.am. But this file is generated
by gnulib-tool, which does not seem to allow for Makefile extensions.

Exporting `AM_CPPFLAGS' from the top-level Makefile is not portable to
other `make's. At least, it breaks the Makefile on this particular
system (ia64-unknown-freebsd6.0). And it might (?) conflict with
automake's adding `.NOEXPORT:' to the bottom of all `Makefile's.

Any ideas?

Claudio

--
Claudio Jolowicz <address@hidden> <http://www.jolowicz.com>