Packaging a directory tree with scripts.

From: Pat Suwalski
Subject: Packaging a directory tree with scripts.
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:48:24 -0500

Hello,

I have an autotooled project that has a structure like so:

top
  src
    engine
    front-end
    tools
      tool1
      tool2
      (...)

I would like to include the src/tools directory in the distribution, but
all of the tools are perl scripts. It seems wasteful to be making
Makefile.am's and Makefile.in's which are ten times larger than the
tools within each of the directories.

I am aware of the possibility of adding "tools/" to EXTRA_DIST in
src/Makefile.am, but maybe there is a cleaner solution that I'm missing?

I was thinking something along the lines of a hand-writted, very simple
Makefile that doesn't have any of the compiling cruft not needed. These
scripts are only to be in the source tarball, they don't get installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
--Pat