Re: Specifying dependencies difficulties

From: Angus Leeming
Subject: Re: Specifying dependencies difficulties
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:46:24 +0000

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> If kconfig_compiler needs any prebuilt stuff, then for the first
> bootstrap you are gonna need to manually create things and have them in
> the repo.

Sorry, you've lost me. What do you mean by "prebuilt stuff"?

> If it doesn't need it, I suspect the easiest way to go will be to
> reorganize a bit so you build everything out of subdirs (nothing in the
> top-level dir) so you can easily control the build order.

Right, I can see how that would work.

> Then you can build the compiler first, then generate the .[ch] files,
> then the final binaries.

Unfortunately, going this route will mean my project loses all CVS history
information :( If only sourceforge were using subversion. (Yes, I know
they plan to do so "real soon now".)

Just to be clear here, the *only way* to get automake to honour the
dependencies I specified in my first mail is to use subdirs to control the
build order?

Regards,
Angus