Re: Installation directory of shared library

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Installation directory of shared library
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:37:03 +0100

Hi Florian,

* Florian Schricker wrote on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 02:32:59PM CET:

> I am quite new to Autotools, so please bear with me :-)

Here's a good tutorial:
http://www-src.lip6.fr/homepages/Alexandre.Duret-Lutz/autotools.html

>       How can I install a shared library libfoo.la in $(libdir)/bar ?
>
> For static libraries I set
>
>       libfoodir = $(libdir)/bar
>       libfoo_LIBRARIES = libfoo.a

change the last line to
  libfoo_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la

and make sure you call AC_PROG_LIBTOOL in configure.ac.
You also need to run libtoolize to get some additional files installed,
and rerun aclocal (`autoreconf -vi' can take care of these for you).

> Any help is really greatly appreciated, I'm stuck on this for two days

Next time just ask after two hours[1].  ;-)

[1] There are actually a couple of reasons this time span isn't just a
    punt: gnu.org mailing list latency can be up to several hours; also,
    readers may get annoyed if asked very many questions which they deem
    trivial/easy to find out for the person asking.  Surely the latter
    is very subjective and often difficult to estimate well.