Re: Post build step and Makefile.am

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Post build step and Makefile.am
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:48:13 +0100

Hi Henri,

* Henri Herscher wrote on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 11:40:38PM CET:

> I'm trying to get a small script to execute after building an automake
> library target (lib_LTLIBRARIES) so that when I type "make" it builds
> the lib and then executes my script.
>
> I've seen elsewhere there is something called "install-exec-hook" for
> doing this in the install phase. Is there such thing for the build
> phase ? (Sorry, comming for the M$VC world, I call this a post-build
> script).

You can use all-local, but it's not guaranteed that it will be executed
after all libraries are built (esp. with parallel make it isn't).  So to
enforce order you could list the prerequisites.  For example, add:

  all-local: libfoo.la
        @echo after libfoo.la was built

If you list prerequisite programs (executables), be sure to write them
as `foo$(EXEEXT)'.