Re: building a shared library that depends on a static library

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: building a shared library that depends on a static library
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 18:10:21 +0100

Hi Jason,

* Jason Kraftcheck wrote on Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 05:45:23PM CET:

> Is there some way I can force configure to change the
> deplibs_check_method?

By integrating libtool.m4 into your package and changing it (more
details if you're interested).  With recent Automake, this isn't
space-expensive: use `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' in configure.ac, and put
the file in m4/libtool.m4, and use `ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4' in toplevel
Makefile.am.  Make sure when rerunning libtoolize (possibly through
autoreconf) that the file is updated.  (Next version will have `aclocal
--install').

> Even if I have to change it for all platforms, that would
> be OK.  It would cause us far fewer problems to just not build shared
> libraries
> on the platforms where this option is required.  I'd much rather have no
> shared
> libraries on more obscure platforms than broken shared libraries on the more
> common ones.

cheap workaround of the day: disable shared libs on problematic
platforms: put this in configure.ac before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL:

AC_ENABLE_SHARED
case $host in
  hppa*|x86_64*|s390* | *-solaris*|*-sunos*)
  AC_DISABLE_SHARED
  ;;
esac