Re: BUILT_SOURCES: dependencies not copied to build_dir

From: Michael Biebl
Subject: Re: BUILT_SOURCES: dependencies not copied to build_dir
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:16:18 +0200

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hi Michael, Tom,

Hi,

thanks for you help so far.

> * tom fogal wrote on Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:38:27PM CEST:
>>  <address@hidden>Michael Biebl writes:
>> <snip>
>>> ngcs_marshal.c: ngcs_marshal.ngci idef.py
>>>        $(srcdir)/idef.py ngcs_marshal
>>>
>>> ngcs_marshal.h: ngcs_marshal.ngci idef.py
>>>        $(srcdir)/idef.py ngcs_marshal
>> Not sure if it will work, but perhaps you could just use the .ngci file
>> without copying it?
>
> Yes, that was my thinking as well.  Copying is a bad idea, if that file
> ends up in the distribution tarball some make implementations will
> behave "interestingly" and subtly different when both source and build
> tree have different versions of this (described in the Autoconf manual).

This is the solution I came up with:

EXTRA_DIST = ngcs_marshal.ngci idef.py ngcs.py
CLEANFILES = ngcs_marshal.h ngcs_marshal.c

ngcs_marshal.c: ngcs_marshal.ngci idef.py
        $(srcdir)/idef.py $(srcdir)/ngcs_marshal @

ngcs_marshal.h: ngcs_marshal.ngci idef.py
        $(srcdir)/idef.py $(srcdir)/ngcs_marshal @

This way idef.py and ngcs_marshal.ngci are not copied to the builddir
and whenever they change one of them in the srcdir the header and c file
are regenerated.
I don't need srcdir in the dependency line, but if I omit them in the
build rule I either get:
make: idef.py: Command not found
or
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'ngcs_marshal.ngci'

I also had to change idef.py to take an additional parameter (@) where I
can tell the location of the output file. Otherwise the file is created
in the srcdir. I wanted to avoid changing idef.py first (that's why the
copying) but it seemed not to be possible.

Cheers,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?