Re: test setup advice

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: test setup advice
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:02:07 +0200

Hi Tom,

* tom fogal wrote on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 05:20:18AM CEST:
>  Ralf Wildenhues writes:
> >Does that help?
>
> Its an order of magnitude better than what I've got now certainly.
> What I'd really like to see is a program which parses tests/*cpp and
> generates
>    test1_SOURCES=../src/abc.cpp ../src/x.cpp
>       test2_SOURCES=../src/blah.cpp
>       test3_SOURCES=(large 30 line list perhaps, for huge test)

Nothing (in Automake) prevents you from having the sources of two
implementations of the same interface in the same directory, so you
would have to write this program yourself, which then makes use of
additional assumptions true for your code to find this out.

> Multiple libraries, perhaps one per program module, seems like a
> reasonable alternative thats human-maintainable and gets most of the
> benefits of doing the full source listings.

FWIW, my experience is that with C++ code this isn't all too effective,
with most of the code being packed into templated headers, changes will
usually require to recompile large parts of the code.