Re: Partial linking with _RELOCATABLES - Proposed enhancement

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Partial linking with _RELOCATABLES - Proposed enhancement
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:36:38 +0200

Hi Brian,

* Brian Dessent wrote on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 04:02:47PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> > - There are some systems where partial linking is currently broken,
> >   e.g.  GNU binutils ld on w32:
> >   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14729192

Gee, I wish the sf.net list interface would offer some easy way to get
at a threaded view of this .. anyway, see:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/18814

> >   I have not investigated whether a newer version has this fixed yet.
>
> I tried building geos-2.2.1 under Cygwin but could not replicate that
> problem report.  However, in this case libtool linked libgeos directly
> without using -r so perhaps it's a difference in command-line length or
> libtool version (I autoreconfed the package first as a matter of habit.)

Which libtool(ize) version was used?  What's the output of
  ../../libtool --config | grep "^max_cmd_len"
?

Anyway I guess the difference is that the report speaks about the CVS
HEAD version of libgeos; and the ChangeLog[1] suggests that the change
on 2006-01-31 was responsible for the change; that was post-2.2.1.

[1] http://geos.refractions.net/ro/CVS.txt