Re: Way to generate header files automatically

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Way to generate header files automatically
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:14:57 +0200

* Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:04:11PM CEST:
> * Jeff Safier wrote on Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 05:58:31PM CEST:
> > Thanks for your answers.  It seems automake does handle this
> > automattically, however we have a situation where the header files are
> > in a didfferent directory tree then the shource code.  For that
> > dependency tracking is not working.  Unless my INCLUDES=   macro in my
> > Makefile.am is incorrect, im not sure how to do this, if possibe
>
> The fact that headers are in a different directory should not matter at
> all to dependency generation.  The INCLUDES line is only to ensure that
> all files you need will be distributed with `make dist'.

OK, the part about INCLUDES was all wrong, thanks to Stepan for
reminding me!

INCLUDES is an old name for AM_CPPFLAGS.  No need to set it, unless you
have to for other reasons.  Its purpose is explained in the manual.

If you want to ensure that your headers get distributed, the usual
recommendation is: put them in the *_SOURCES file along with your .c/.cc
etc. files.  You can also use the *include_HEADERS (for to-be-installed
ones that is necessart) or the noinst_HEADERS, if for some unknown-to-me
reason you don't like putting them in the *_SOURCES.  (All of this is in
the manual, too.)