Re: Hurd source tree; inter-directory dependencies

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Hurd source tree; inter-directory dependencies
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 04:29:29 +0200

Hi Thomas,

* Thomas Schwinge wrote on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:42:28AM CEST:

> In the old build system we had the very conventient feature that you
> could `make progb' from the top level build directory and it would
> automagically first build the libraries `progb' depends on (as specified
> by a variable in `progb/Makefile').

> Is it possible to achieve this functionality using standard measures of
> automake?

Yes.

> Would switching to a non-recursive build layout solve this problem?

Yes, that would be the simplest way to achieve this.

> Keeping the current per-directory `Makefile.am's, I can imagine doing
> some hackery (and already have some ideas about it) in the top level
> `Makefile.am', but I first wanted to be sure that it didn't exist
> already.

I think you could as well hard-code rules for specific targets in the
toplevel Makefile.am.  But then you'd have to keep both the rules in the
toplevel Makefile.am and in the subdirectories in sync somehow.  In a
nonrecursive setup, you'd get that for free.