Re: Position independent static libraries?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Position independent static libraries?
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:41:41 +0200

Hi Kent,

* Kent Boortz wrote on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 12:24:31PM CEST:

> With automake I can easily in the same build create executables linked
> with non-PIC objects, shared libraries created from non-PIC objects,
> and shared libraries created from PIC objects.

But creating shared libraries from non-PIC objects is rather ugly and
not portable.

> But is there a way to control the build to create the static libraries
> from PIC objects?

Not directly.  You can create a convenience archive, which will contain
PIC objects.  But that archive is not supposed to be installed anywhere.
If you do install it (manually), you will confuse Libtool's dependency
logic.

I guess you could create an installable static library from PIC objects
by using --tag=disable-static during compilation, and -static during
linking.  Also quite hacky because it uses undocumented behavior.

This question has more to do with Libtool functionality than with
Automake, by the way.