Re: dist-bzip2 with subdirs

From: Paulo J. Matos
Subject: Re: dist-bzip2 with subdirs
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:38:27 +0100

On 03/04/06, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Paulo,
>
> * Paulo J. Matos wrote on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 06:29:19PM CEST:
> > I'm having a problem with dist-bzip2 since on my makefile I have :
> > VPATH %.cc ./x ./xx ./xxx ...
> >
> > bin_PROGRAMS = foo
> > foo_SOURCES = foo.cc bar.cc ...
> >
> > When dist-bzip2 tries to copy some files not direcly in ./src it fails
> > miserably. Is there any solution for this? Or usually when using
> > multiple dirs, one should not use VPATH but instead souces should be
> > foo_SOURCES = ./x/foo.cc ./xx/bar.cc ...
>
> Yes, write this:
>   foo_SOURCES = x/foo.cc xx/bar.cc ..

OK.

> It's very wise to not set VPATH yourself when using Automake.  Do you do
> that only so you can save writing a few bytes of path names, or is there
> some deeper trickery going on?  Automake otherwise makes use of VPATH
> itself to allow you to have build trees separate from source trees.

Ah, nice, didn't know that. I just used it because I have a lot of
files, and I mean a lot with super-deep paths... mainly because I
included in my project files from other software projects of my
research group which were already organized this way but I think I'll
just simplify this stuff.

Thanks,

Paulo Matos

--
Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at sat inesc-id pt
Web: http://sat.inesc-id.pt/~pocm