Re: Invoking Build.PL/Makefile.PL from automake?

From: Tyler MacDonald
Subject: Re: Invoking Build.PL/Makefile.PL from automake?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:08:59 -0700

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:
> Interfacing between Automake and ExtUtils::MakeMaker is a bloody
> disaster.  They do not support the same paradigm or targets.
> MakeMaker does weird things like having 'make clean' remove the
> Makefile.  MakeMaker is inconsistent between Perl releases.  Some
> things which worked stop working when new MakeMaker features are
> added.

        What I'd really like (whether I have to write it myself or somebody
has already done it for me <g>) is to have automake invoke
Makefile.PL/Makefile (and possibly Build.PL/Build) in the correct way when I
tell it that a subdirectory is a perl module... to fit in with the automake
idea of using autoconf macros to define how to build subdirectories, I was
thinking something along the lines of:

        AM_PERL_MM(src/libbtt/Net-BitTorrent/Makefile.PL)

        and possibly in the futre,

        AM_PERL_MB(src/libbtt/Something-Else/Build.PL)

        And find some way for makemaker to treat those SUBDIRS as "black
box" perl modules. I'd also like some way to pass extra arguments into the
Makefile.PL/Build.PL to pull in libraries elsewhere in the project tree,
etc.

        I was actually using a "Makefile.PL.in" before, when I was just
using autoconf, to get some build environment stuff set up, but my ideal is
to have these packages installable both from the distrubtion and on CPAN.

> I first implemented this interfacing in ImageMagick and it has been
> carried on into GraphicsMagick.

        Awesome, I'll check that out. :-)

        Thanks,
                Tyler