Re: Invoking Build.PL/Makefile.PL from automake?

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Invoking Build.PL/Makefile.PL from automake?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:33:45 +0900

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 08:52 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hi Russ,
>
> * Russ Allbery wrote on Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 05:12:34AM CEST:
> > Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Systems which automatically remember shared library dependencies may
> > > cause problems since the installed module is referencing libraries
> > > which no longer exist or have been moved.
>
> > Yes, without the libtool relinking support, you lose on those platforms.
> > Thankfully we're getting to the point where letting those platforms just
> > lose is becoming a more and more viable option.
>
> Are you saying we should let Darwin lose?  Or have I just not understood
> why we have hardcode_automatic=yes for it?

Darwin always uses absolute paths to the install location of the shared
library as the soname. There are currently no other options, there is no
-rpath support. At the moment no libraries are ever relinked at install
on darwin systems. Where and how this is implemented in libtool, I don't
recall.

Peter