Re: dynamic dist?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dynamic dist?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:58:14 +0200

Hi Tyler,

* Tyler MacDonald wrote on Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:53:55PM CEST:
> Tyler MacDonald <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > noinst_DATA = `cat Net-BitTorrent-LibBTT/MANIFEST`

> dist-hook:
>       (sed -e "s,^,Net-BitTorrent-LibBTT/," -e "s,\s.*$$,," < \
>               Net-BitTorrent-LibBTT/MANIFEST) | \
>               cpio -pdum $(distdir)
>
>       Is this portable (enough)? I'm thinking of turning it into a general
> automake macro so you can just do something like:
>
> dist_MANIFESTS = foo/MANIFEST bar/MANIFEST

Hmm.  First, I think you can just drop the

part; it serves no useful purpose, and `\s' isn't portable AFAIK.  Then,
although SUSv3 specifies the cpio storage format, it doesn't specify the
`cpio' tool, but only pax.  Practically, you can't rely on that, though.
I find neither of them in my MSYS installation, nor my Cygwin
installation (although I bet they are part of Cygwin; I just guess they
are not part of the basic install).

How about going the other way and creating `MANIFEST' from the data you
are collecting in Makefile.am?  Just an idea, you know.