Re: AC_LIBOBJ(subdir/file) doesn't work with non-recursive automake

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: AC_LIBOBJ(subdir/file) doesn't work with non-recursive automake
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:09:22 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
> * Russ Allbery wrote on Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 04:05:11AM CEST:

>> AC_LIBOBJ([util/snprintf])

>> configure.ac:25: required file `./util/snprintf.c' not found

> I think it wasn't intended that AC_LIBOBJ ever be called with something
> other than a plain name (i.e., no directory components).  Not totally
> sure here, though.

With this patch, everything (Autoconf and Automake both) seems to work
fine, although of course without AC_CONFIG_LIBOBJ_DIR working, the
Autoconf macros that call AC_LIBOBJ internally don't do the right thing.

>> An even better solution would be for Automake to pay attention to
>> AC_CONFIG_LIBOBJ_DIR and look for AC_LIBOBJ files there.

> This is already fixed in CVS Automake.  It needs CVS Autoconf though.
> And the LIBOBJDIR feature is somewhat, erm, controversial.  Oh well.

I hope this does end up being supported, since it's the only way that I
see to make non-recursive builds work nicely with AC_LIBOBJ.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>