Re: AC_LIBOBJ(subdir/file) doesn't work with non-recursive automake

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: AC_LIBOBJ(subdir/file) doesn't work with non-recursive automake
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:23:24 +0200

Hello Russ,

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 12:09:22AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> An even better solution would be for Automake to pay attention to
> >> AC_CONFIG_LIBOBJ_DIR and look for AC_LIBOBJ files there.
>
> > This is already fixed in CVS Automake.  It needs CVS Autoconf though.
> > And the LIBOBJDIR feature is somewhat, erm, controversial.  Oh well.
>
> I hope this does end up being supported, since it's the only way that I
> see to make non-recursive builds work nicely with AC_LIBOBJ.

well, it was me who created the controversy here.  :-)

I presume you use AC_CONFIG_LIBOBJ_DIR to specify a certain directory,
and then you call AC_LIBOBJ with object names (without any directory
components).  Then you use LIBOBJS or LTLIBOBJS in the top directory.

I think there is no doubt this should be supported.

The controversy is about implementation: current implementation uses
variable LIBOBJDIR to prepent the path, while I proposed that
./configure would insert the directory part to the substituted
value of (LT)LIBOBJS.

It is possible that Autoconf/Automake will support multiple libobj
directories on future; in that case, the two possible implications
will have consequences for the shape of that support.

But the basic use case for AC_CONFIG_LIBOBJ_DIR shall continue to
work in either case.

Hope this explanation helps,
        Stepan Kasal