Re: shell <something>: non-POSIX variable name

From: Axel Thimm
Subject: Re: shell <something>: non-POSIX variable name
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 14:45:23 +0200

Hi Ralf,

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 02:26:05PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Axel Thimm wrote on Fri, May 05, 2006 at 02:16:50PM CEST:
> >
> > autoconf -Wall doesn't like $(shell xxx) constructs becuase they are
> > non-portable.
>
> Yes.  It outputs a warning to this extent (but finishes successfully).
>
> > Is there a portable way to achieve $(shell xxx) functionality or
> > failing that to indicate to automake that this projects requires make
> > with GNU extensions?
>
> In some cases $(shell xxx) may be replaced by other means, for example a
> substituted variable computed at configure time, or an Automake
> conditional, or similar.  But that depends on the specific usage, and
> won't give you the full flexibility of $(shell ..).

to get more specific, I'm janitoring a project that uses

DATE := $(shell date)
LATEST_CVS := $(shell ../build/latest_cvs_commit.sh 2>/dev/null)

which is later passed as -D defines to fortran 90 code. For C I'd
stuff it into a file and #include it, but I'm fortran illiterate, so
I'm looking for a Makefile level fix (e.g. still passing the defines
through the command line).

Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net