Re: make distcheck not finding custom code generation script

From: Andreas Ntaflos
Subject: Re: make distcheck not finding custom code generation script
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 10:16:10 +0200

On Saturday 13 May 2006 09:54, Brian Dessent wrote:
> So the answer to your question is that you shouldn't assume that you
> are in the source tree when referring to files.  Try having your
> macro expand the path as "$(srcdir)/tools/wrapper.sh" instead of
> "../tools/wrapper.sh".  I'm not entirely sure of the correct quoting
> here, but I'm pretty sure you want it to expand as $(srcdir) in the
> final generated Makefile rule, so this might involve quoting the ('s
> and )'s in m4, I don't know.

Brian,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to read that long post of
mine /and/ reply with such a detailed and well-written explanation!
And of course you are correct, having the m4 macro expand the variable
to $(srcdir)/tools/wrapper.sh (and, along the same lines, rewriting the
build rule to refer to $(srcdir)/foo.ice) solved that problem just
fine!

About the quoting in the m4 macro:

ac_foo2cpp="\$(srcdir)/tools/wrapper.sh ${ac_foo2cpp}"

was apparently the right way to do this.

It seems you replied off-list? Would you consider posting to the list
what you wrote? Your explanation is definately worth archiving and I
know for a fact that many of my fellow students will be having similar
problems pretty soon.

If you don't want to I could forward your message or quote it in a
follow-up or whatever.

Again, thank you very much! You spared me a lot of further trouble :)

Andreas
--
Andreas "daff" Ntaflos
daff AT dword DOT org

GPG Fingerprint:        6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4
GPG Public Key ID:      090CA9B4
GPG Public Key:         http://daffit.meownz.info/publickey/andreas_ntaflos.asc