Re: Non-recursive makefiles

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Non-recursive makefiles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:32:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Olly Betts wrote:

* I'm not sure what to call the Makefile.am snippets in the
 subdirectories.  I looked at GraphicsMagick which was suggested to be

Likewise. :-)

 harder to maintain.  It'd be really handy to have a way to
 automatically prepend the directory that the current snippet was
 included with.  So after "include foo/Makefile.am", I can write:

 libmain_la_SOURCES +/= foo.c bar.c baz.c

 and that would be equivalent to the version above.  "+/=" looks odd
 but doesn't collide with anything currently valid, and would allow
 ":/=" and "/=" to do the same magic to ":=" and "=".  I'm not at all
 wedded to this syntax, it's just the best that's occurred to me so far.

It is an interesting approach. The other issue with included Makefiles is the formulation of Automake target names (including all target-specific variables) which must include underscores in all the right places if the target is also to be written to a subdirectory. This can be very tedious for projects with many targets. I find this aspect to be more tedious than listing the sources. A syntax which is aware of a "local" directory would be useful here as well.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn