Re: Non-recursive makefiles

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Non-recursive makefiles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 17:01:07 +0200

* Ralf Corsepius wrote on Wed, May 24, 2006 at 04:34:02PM CEST:

> - Non-recursive makefiles are suitable for projects of mediocre
> complexity. For complex projects the price of flat Makefile is high and
> often doesn't pay off.

Yes, agreed as well, but I think nobody is suggesting that you have to
be completely nonrecursive.

It often helps a lot to have fewer Makefiles than one per directory,
especially in parts of a source tree where they are rather simple.

> - subdir makefile.am-fragments are tedious to maintain in longer terms.
> In practice, in nontrivial projects, at least I found myself ending up
> with a mixture of real flat Makefiles (no subdir *.ams) and independent
> subdirs.

But wouldn't they be easier to maintain if there were an "import"
feature?