mkinstalldirs buglet: gettext vs automake

From: Axel Thimm
Subject: mkinstalldirs buglet: gettext vs automake
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 20:18:06 +0200

Hi,

I'm using

automake 1.9.6 and
gettext  0.14.5

In a structure like

top
 sub
  po

(e.g. a subfolder being i18n'zed, but not the top folder)
automake/gettextize/autoreconf etc will create mkinstalldirs in "sub",
but not "top". But ac_aux_dir will be set to "top" because that's
where install-sh is being placed, and install-sh is the first scanned
file for autodetermining ac_aux_dir.

The net result is that the po Makefile will try to run
../../mkinstalldirs instead of ../mkinstalldirs.

I'm not sure whether this is a gettextize bug, a bug in gettext b/c of
still using mkinstalldirs, a bug in autoreconf for missing
mkinstalldirs in the top dir, or a bug in autoconf for checking only
for install-sh. My head is spinning as it is ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net