Re: aclocal 1.9.6 and drive letters

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: aclocal 1.9.6 and drive letters
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:27:57 +0200

Hi Andreas,

* Andreas Büning wrote on Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:00:10PM CEST:

> Some weeks ago I sent a mail to the automake-patches mailing list
> but it never appeared there. Then I tried the bug-automake
> mailing list. I checked the mailing list archives on lists.gnu.org
> my posting never appeared.

That is weird, sounds like some spam filter gone too picky.
Bob, Stepan?

> I tried to use aclocal 1.9.6 on OS/2 and encountered the following
> problem: If using a drive letter for the installation path the $_
> variable (see below) will contain something like
> "c:/usr/share/aclocal-1.9/init.m4:AC_INIT_AUTOMAKE.....". This will
> obviously break when the split function is called because $file will
> be initializes to "c" and $macro to "/usr/share/aclocal-1.9/init.m4".
> Finally, init.m4 will not be considered as a file needed for aclocal.m4,
> and won't be included there. This means, AC_INIT_AUTOMAKE and all other
> standard macros won't be in aclocal.m4 and any call of automake will
> fail.

Yep.

> I replaced split(/:/) by split (/(?<=\w\w):/) which will ignore the
> first colon if there aren't at least two characters before the colon.
> Maybe you'll find a better solution since I'm not a perl expert.

I don't think that is right, see for example this:
$ echo "a:/usr/share:b:/var/x/u:c/foo.m4:" |
    perl -ne "print(join('-', split (/(?<=\w\w):/)));"
a:/usr/share-b:/var/x/u:c/foo.m4-

which is not split after u, wrongly.

That said, I think CVS Automake has this fixed already in a different
way (by having '::' be the separator).