Re: GNU Autoconf test version 2.59d available

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: GNU Autoconf test version 2.59d available
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:01:11 +0200

Hello Ralf,

* Ralf Corsepius wrote on Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:07:15AM CEST:
> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 08:29 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

We are seriously talking past each other.

> >   If you are using
> > Automake, the changed directory variables (assuming you are referring to
> > them) will be picked up automatically.  If you are using hand-written
> > Makefile.in's, config.status will warn you for files you have not
> > adjusted.
> IMO, you are overengineering a problem from the wrong side.

Here it seems you are mixing up two completely orthogonal issues.  I can
only assume that my announcement message was too confusing and that led
to this mess.  But the topic of changed directory variables has nothing
to do with the topic of VPATH builds (and the recommendation for GNU
make).

If you have any problems with the warnings that config.status outputs in
case you use, say, $(datadir), but $(datarootdir) has not been defined,
(which can happen if you use hand-written Makefile.in files, for example),
please speak up.  I very much assume that to not be the case, though,
gathering from the rest of your replies.